Sunday, July 15, 2012

Around the blogs in 80 hours

MMDS and the GraphLab workshop happened last week, I am told by both  Michael Mahoney (MMDS) and Danny Bickson (GraphLab) that videos should appear in some shape or another on the interweb. Stay tuned here. In the meantime, the MMDS abstracts are here and some of the highlights of GraphLab presentations are here.

On Nuit Blanche, several readers pointed out to some of their work with implementation:
Then following on some reflection, I decided to write down something about the Cost of Not Knowing and  The Problem with Pre-Publication Peer Review (it's the secrecy not the rejection!)Compressed Sensing got mentioned in some NAP publication in Innovation and Discovery: The Mathematical Sciences in the 21st Century, while I reminded myself what Space Plumbers are Good For. Finally, I went through my logs and found out which Nuit Blanche entries gathered the most Google +1s.

The Compressive Sensing Group on LinkedIn has more than 1625 members so far. Answers to a diverse set of questions are being answered, this is truly outstanding. The Advanced Matrix Factorization group has 362 members. Finally, Cable and I sent a proposal in and the acronym is LOLCATS and it has to do with being a space plumber. One more thing, I was asked how to cite any of the photos and panoramas we took from 120,000 feet in the GeoCam project, all the information is here. It represents a set of 1600+ pictures of nearly overlapping pictures (overlapping with one another not for the full suite) taken from 120,000 feet. If you do use those, send me an email, I'll be glad to feature the attendant project and paper on Nuit Blanche. All these photos are under the licence: Attribution 3.0 Unported (CC BY 3.0) enjoy! If there is an interest in making use of the whole batch (4GB), please let me know I might find a way to make the full set available in one download. The photo below is a 50KB reduced version of an actual 3MB JPEG image.








Image Credit: NASA/JPL/Space Science Institute,  Full-Res: N00192436.jpg

N00192436.jpg was taken on July 13, 2012 and received on Earth July 14, 2012. The camera was pointing toward SATURN at approximately 1,700,001 miles (2,735,887 kilometers) away, and the image was taken using the CL1 and CL2 filters. This image has not been validated or calibrated.


No comments:

Printfriendly