Wednesday, October 24, 2007

California's fires from Space using different satellites

[ Update: new imagery, October 24th can be found here]

NASA has been able to provide imagery with the MODIS rapid response system where they seem to be using data from Aqua and Terra (which I believe are on the same orbit as Landsat.) I did a search on the USGS database, and found no Landsat 5 (it has had some on-board problems since October 6th) and only one Landsat 7 image. The Landsat 7 one is not clear as it has the SLC off and therefore looks pretty bad.

I have found a very nice image taken on October 22nd by the MERIS camera on-board the European ENVISAT. There should be a new one in about 4 hours.



I am a little bit disturbed that there isn't only one UI where I can give a location of interest, a time line and find out if either the USGS, NASA and ESA or other civilian satellites can tell me if there are any data associated with this criteria. It was a pain when doing this type of search when looking for clues on Jim Gray's boat, it continues to be a pain to this day.


Credit Image: ESA/Envisat

No comments:

Printfriendly